Commercial Energy Performance Certificate - Commercial EPC - Display Energy Certificate - Public Building DEC
CAL UK Ltd - Commercial Energy Assessors (CEAs or NDEAs)
Energy Performance Certificates
for Commercial Properties

Need a quote?

Call us now on
0845 299 7725

      Residential property
      Commercial property
        - Commercial EPCs
        - Asbestos surveys
        - Request a quotation
      Client login
      Contact us
      What our clients say

"We would like to take this opportunity of expressing our appreciation for the speed and efficiency with which you responded to our request for an Energy Performance Evaluation. We would rate you A at every level! Your assessor was exceedingly pleasant and professional in his service. We would not hesitate to recommend you to anyone else requiring the services you offer." - Mrs C A Williams

Commercial Energy Performance Certificate

Commercial energy performance certificates

CAL UK Ltd produce Energy Performance Certificates (EPCs) for commercial properties across the whole of the UK. We work for commercial building owners, commercial agents, solicitors and businesses wishing to assign a lease or sub-let.

Which level of assessment do you require?

Commercial buildings are categorised according to the complexity of their energy demands as follows;

  • Level 3 commercial buildings - buildings with boiler systems below 100kW output (or other simple heating systems), simple ventilation, small comfort cooling systems below 12kW.
  • Level 4 commercial buildings - buildings with linked boiler systems over 100kW, multi-split cooling systems, VRF systems, central air-conditioning plant (AHU, all-air, air/water, chillers, ductwork etc).
  • Level 5 commercial buildings - very complex modern buildings having atria, curved glass, night-time cooling etc

Energy assessors are accredited to these different levels and can only issue EPCs for the level of buildings they are qualified for. CAL UK Ltd has assessors accredited to Level 3 and Level 4 meaning we can assess 99% of all commercial buildings in the country.

The price of a commercial EPC varies according to the complexity of the building (and not just the size of the building) so we need some details from you to enable us to quote for the job.

New builds

Newly built commercial buildings can only be assessed by a Level 4 assessor. Again, we will be happy to provide a quotation.

EPCs for commercial properties - the rules

Since 1 October 2008, an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) is required whenever a commercial building is sold or let.

Commercial properties coming onto the market after 1st October 2008 must have an EPC before they are marketed. Properties that were already on the market prior to October 1st require an EPC by 6th January 2008 at latest or 'as soon as practicable' after sale or let if that occurs before that date.

A commercial EPC lasts for 10 years and can be transfered from owner to owner with the property.

There is a short list of commercial properties that do not require an EPC;

  • places of worship
  • temporary buildings with a planned time of use less than 2 years
  • stand-alone buildings with a total useful floor area of less than 50m2
  • industrial sites, workshops and non-residential agricultural buildings with low energy demand.

One EPC or multiple EPCs?

A. Selling or letting a building as a whole:

You can obtain an EPC for the whole building, even if that building has parts designed or altered to be used separately with separate heating systems. If the building has a common heating system, the EPC may subsequently be used for any part of the building offered for sale or let.

B. Selling, letting or sub-letting part of a building:

If the building has a single shared heating system there are 2 ways to comply;

  • Get an EPC for the whole building, negotiating as necessary with any head landlord (which may be more economic for all concerned)
  • Get an EPC for the part of the building you are selling, letting or sub-letting. If you are letting a floor for example, you may get an EPC done for just that floor.

If you wish to sell, let or sublet a part which does not share a common heating system you will need a separate EPC for that part.

C. Residential accommodation:

Any separate residential accommodation that is self-contained will require its own EPC. Residential space that can only be accessed via commercial premises (e.g. a house with a shop in a downstairs room or a shop with accommodation where the access is through the shop) will be assessed with the commercial premises as a single building.

More information

The government department responsible has produced a guide to EPCs and commercial property. You can download it here.

>> Next >>

Commercial Energy Performance Certificate - Commercial EPC - Display Energy Certificate - Public Building DEC

Order your EPC online


Order your HIP online